Danny and I arrived at the hospital Wednesday at 6:00pm and I was given a medication called cervadel that softens the cervix over a 10 to 12 hour period and could possibly have put me into labor. I started having mild contractions at about 5:00am.
At 9:00am I was given the second medication -- pitocin. This medication brings on contractions and should have produced dialation at one centimeter per hour. From what I've heard most of you say about this medicine I'll admit I was a little scared that I was going to go from like 0 to 60 in 2.4 seconds!!!! When I said that to the nurse just before she administered the medication - she laughed and said that would not happen and it would bring them on slowly. Which is exactly what happened - by 5:00pm I was having regular contractions every 3 minutes.
Unfortunately, the contractions did not produce the expected dialation -- I was only one centimeter. At this point the doctor came in and gave us our options - go through this same process again (which could possibly have yielded the same result), go home (see what happens), or have a c-section.
It was not an easy choice because Danny and I wanted so badly to meet our son but we didn't want to put my life or the baby's life in jeopardy. These medications put a lot of stress on the baby and myself -- although both of us handled it like champs!
So, we decided this would be our dry run and we'd have to wait on our son. As sad as I am that we were not going to meet Nathan and that we had gone through all of this - it was the right decision. If Nathan wasn't ready there must be a reason and we must respect that. I am still having mild contractions every once in a while and my hands and feet are swollen but other than being disappointed at the outcome I am completely fine.
I told Danny as we were driving home - Nathan's like his mommy and that I am proud of him - he is going to come into this world on his own terms!! Not mine or any doctors - his. That's my boy!!!
Thank you to all those that called, emailed, and waited patiently by the phone. We will certainly keep you all informed if and when changes develop.
Kandi and Danny