WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!

Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Words...Words...Words

Since becoming a Board Member of the Capital Region Down Syndrome Aim High Resource Center I've learned a great deal. What I'd like to share with you is the proper language guidelines for persons with Down syndrome.


First, the correct name is Down syndrome. Capital "D" lowercase "s" and no apostrophe. There is NO such thing as a person with "Downs" -- it's a very common mistake.

Second, words can and do create barriers. Never describe Nathan as a "Down syndrome child" - he is a "child with Down syndrome." It could be equated to describing a person this way - that's my cancerous grandmother - you wouldn't say that would you? No, of course not!! You'd use proper English and say my grandmother has cancer. Why? Because it's not WHO she is - just a part of her.

Lastly, look at Nathan as a person, an individual. Each person with or without a disability as his/her own strengths, capabilities, and talents. Don't assume because Nathan has Down syndrome that he will be just like other children with Down syndrome because that simply is not the case! Nathan is Nathan - he's like any other child - unique in his own right.

What a learning process this has been!!!! I hope you learn a lot too!

The Terry Family

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi All!
Just wanted to say "hello." Kandi, I got your message about the baby pool late on Saturday because my Mom and I were at the Great Escape all day and I got so burnt I look like a lobster! I even had on sunblock - go figure!
Anyway, I'm so happy to see that you've called attention to the overly used and extremely annoying reference of children as " Down syndrome children" or "Autistic children". It's a pet peeve of mine, but I've always told myself it must be due to my training as a teacher and my professors constantly reiterating that our vocabulary should be person-first!However, I totally support the movement in favor of identifying children by their name before their unique characteristics, regardless of what those characteristics may be!
Love the pictures! Aunt Domenica says hello.
Talk to you all soon,
Love,
Aunt Charly

Anonymous said...

I don't like eggs either!

Shell :)