WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!

Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I want to hear from you!

Do you have a question about Down syndrome and/or how it will affect Nathan's life? Ask away!!! Send me an email and I'll respond in a post for all to see (no names - just answers).

Here's what I mean - I've heard that most people with Down syndrome live at home. Will Nathan live at home his entire life?

ANSWER - Maybe. Most persons with Ds do live at home with their parents but many also live independently. I'm sure by the time Nathan becomes an adult the trend will shift toward greater independent living arrangements.

But, let me ask you this - are you a parent? Then, your child may just live at home their entire life too. I'm sure we all know typical adults that still live at home - I personally know several. My sister jokes that my niece is going to have it so good at home she'll never want to leave! Point is - Nathan will be no different than any other adult. If he chooses to live with us for his entire life we would be thrilled. I'd actually prefer it. But, that's his decision when the time is right. Until that day, Danny and I will prepare as if Nathan will be with us.

Do you have any questions? Send me an email.

2 comments:

Mairead Elizabeth Hickok said...

How true that no parent ever really knows how long a child will live at home! For my parents, kids keep moving out, but then coming back! Part of the excitement of being a parent is never knowing who your child will grow up to be, or what he or she might do next!

Shari said...

Kandi: I can't find your email address in my personal book or on the site here. Could you post it?