WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!

Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Dentist & Speech Concerns

Nathan was born with a high palette - the arch in the roof of his mouth is narrow and high. As Nathan develops and begins to speak this will become an impediment to his articulation. The structure of our mouths is critical to the proper pronunciation of words - the palette plays a critical role in the verbal formation of words. Now, what does all this have to do with the dentist?

On December 8th, Nathan will have his first consultation with a pediatric dentist and the topic of conversation will be a palette expander. I've recently been made aware of the fact that such a device exists by a friend who spent 11 years employed by one. I'm curious to learn if it can help Nathan before he really begins communicating verbally! The device literally pushes the palette out - thereby, decreasing the arch and narrowness of his mouth. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

2 comments:

Shari said...

Kandi: My niece has one of those right now. She has had it for four months and we are seeing good strides in the structure of her mouth. I think it would be good to check it out for Nathan. The pics are all adorable and I think it's neat about the family serving in the military.

waldenhouse said...

First, love the new photo's. A beautiful family and Nathan looks precious in his overall's!

I hope the dental appt. goes well. I have a friend from childhood that had a palette expander, I think it did what they wanted it to for her. My guy doesn't do well at the dentist - hope your experience is less stressful than mine! :)