WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!

Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Monday, November 17, 2008

Toys, toys, toys

I'll admit, I'm not an expert on buying toys for little ones or giving others ideas. But, yesterday when I was buying some toys for Christmas for Nathan's newest cousin, I found myself looking at each and every toy first for it's educational value and then for it's fun factor. Therapy has done this to me and I don't believe it's a bad quality.

Every toy I looked at was evaluated on what the child's going to learn and then is that educational lesson what's important for that age group. Once I found some toys that met that criteria I began evaluating them by their "fun factor." For example, Nathan's therapist thought a good toy for Nathan would be one that helps him walk and specifically picked out a good example. When I looked at that toy and the others just like it I found another that was way more fun - it had lots more bells and whistles. The car only had a horn and fake knobs that did nothing - how fun is that?

Is this normal? Is every decision this calculated when it comes to children?

2 comments:

Shari said...

I do the same thing that you were doing. Looking to see how they could learn and be educated from their toys. I STILL do this and they are older children. I just hate to waste their time on a toy that doesn't do something for their brains or learning. That's just me!

Carol said...

Lol, I was thinking of doing a similar post because I do the same thing!!! Guess it's a just a mom thing!