WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!
Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.
We love hearing from everyone!!!!
Saturday, October 4, 2008
* That 1 in 5 children with Ds play a musical instrument? For children older than ten, that number doubles. One of five children with DS sing in a choir or vocal group, for children older than ten, it is every one in three...
* Two out of every three children with Ds like to draw and/or paint pictures
* Approx. 9 out of every 10 individuals with Ds listened to someone read a book more than three times a week between the ages 2-5
* Approx. 7 out of 1o children w/ Ds use total communication (signs, etc) between the ages of 2-5
* Approx. 7 out of 10 kids with Ds saw a speech therapist two or more times a week between the ages of 2 and 5
* Approx. 1 of every 3 children with Ds older than ten rides a bike without training wheels
* Seven of every ten individuals with Ds older than ten participates on an athletic team through Special Olympics
* Two out of every five individuals with Ds participates on an integrated athletic team.
* According to their families, 3 out of 5 individuals with Ds know how to operate a computer.
* One of every three individuals with Ds older than reads the daily newspaper
* Seven of ten individuals with Ds older than 10 read books on their own for personal enjoyment
* One of two children with Ds go to school in a mainstreamed class.
* 3 of 5 children with Ds participate in school activities that are open to all students.
Friday, October 3, 2008
* According to their families, 1 of 5 children with Ds talk on the phone with friends more than three times a week. For children older than ten, that number doubles.
* One in three children with Ds write email regularly
* Two of three children with Ds over age ten have a boyfriend or girlfriend!
*Approx. 7 out of ten children with Ds pray on a regular basis.
* According to their families, approx. 7 of 10 individuals with Ds imitate characters from a television program or movie*
Approx. 2 out of 3 individuals with Ds older than 10 prepare their own breakfast each morning.
* Three out of four individuals with Ds older than 10 make their own bed in the morning.
* One out of two individuals with Ds (older than 18) work in a non sheltered workplace.
* One in five individuals with Ds (18 or older) lives on his/her own.
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
Here's a a little sneak peak! This is an event not to miss! I'm warning you - people will be talking about this for years to come and you'll be sorry you missed it!
There's more too!!!! Stay tuned!
Today's tid bit is an update on the impending Buddy Walk that our committee has been working diligently to put together! What a TEAM we have!!! With awesome, committed, passionate, and motivated people - YOU CAN CHANGE THE WORLD! And, that is a fact.
At last check we had over 500 registered participants! That is so far the largest crowd ever at a Capital Region Buddy Walk!!!!!! We could expect upwards of 700 or more! YEAH!
Each pre-registered participant will receive a Buddy Walk t-shirt - this is the FIRST year that t-shirts have ever been provided at the Buddy Walk!!!!!! A special thank you to my friend Lisa Payne, for making this possible. Each pre-registered family also will receive 2 Down Syndrome Aim High Resource water bottles! Thanks Vicki!! And, if that wasn't enough -- each pre-registered family will go home with a Thank You bag - filled with products from Bumble and Bumble New York, Wella, Buddy Walk Kozzi's and much more!!! These bags are so full - we couldn't fit one more thing in them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Isn't this awesome!!! There is much more to tell you about what's happening on Sunday but that's for tomorrow. You don't want to miss it!
http://www.dsahrc.org/ to sign up! Why should you sign up even if you won't get all these great gifts? There is lots more fun and freebies to be had!!!
These bags are the work of Kathy Smith, Nathan's aunt and Bernardina Torrey, one of my best friends - As you can see, the bags are beautiful - each was assembled with a great deal of love for Nathan and each family touched by Down syndrome. It took a great deal of effort to secure each of the donated items and even more time to assemble them. Do you know they tied bubbles on each of these bags for the kids! And, there are 250 of them!!!
Do you know the best part about this?!!!! Kathy and Bernardina can't wait to do it again next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! God Bless both these women.
Sunday, September 28, 2008
- He weighed in at just over three bags of potatoes on Friday (that's 15.5 pounds);
- He wears 3 wide shoes;
- 6 to 9 months clothes fit him perfectly; and
- His ole BLUE EYES are still sticking around!
- Toys that make noise and light up top his list;
- Pop-up books are another of his favorites;
- Nathan is starting to creep backwards - more often on the hardwood than the carpet;
- He sits up for long periods of time on his own;
- Nathan is starting to drink from a sippy cup;
- he doesn't have any teeth yet; and
NATHAN'S FIRST WORDS - DADA DADA DADA DADA DADADA