WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!

Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Friday, February 6, 2009

When Preparation Meets Opportunity

How do you define luck? Some say, there is no such thing as luck - they define it as “preparation meeting opportunity” and I'd have to agree.

When I resigned from the Senate, I titled my post “the right decisions are not always the easiest ones to make” and although it was a difficult decision - I didn’t give you the whole story. So, here it is ~ the truth and nothing but the truth. But first, a little historical context.

When my sister and I were growing up our father pushed us to do well in school - it was our ticket to a better life. His fatherly encouragement existed for another reason too - he wanted to make sure that if anything every happened to him, my sister and I would be able to take care of ourselves. I'm not sure my father intended the lesson to sink in so well. Once I had been in college for about 6 or 7 years, he began joking that I’d be there for life – he was convinced I was never leaving. Turns out he was right - again. After completing my graduate degree I began teaching college.

So, although I resigned from the Senate, I still have one of the most fulfilling careers imaginable – I teach college level Political Science. I love everything about being in the classroom and having the responsibility for educating our youth (future leaders). A responsibility I take very seriously. I know I have the opportunity to inspire them to greatness and I love that!

This position is also the reason I'm able to be home with Nathan. Preparation met opportunity.

So far, the transition has been seamless - my schedule at the college is perfect. The few hours I’m not home, Nathan is with his aunt or his grandfather. I have the best of both worlds – I’m able to care for my son and still be a contributing member of my household and the world.

I don't know how I got so lucky! :-)
Thanks Dad.

No comments: