WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!

Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Will You Join Us?

On June 14th, my sister will be participating in a life changing event in Lake Placid, to help save lives. We're so proud of her! Please considering helping her raise the money she needs to participate. You may do so by clicking on the post title. Here is her inspiration:

I was inspired to run by one of my dearest friends who is also participating, Donna Mannarino. Donna's sister, Dinay Leichleiter (28 years of age), is my Honored Hero. Dinay was diagnosed in April 2008, when she was pregnant with her first child a son named Keonte. Dinay fought this battle with everything she had. A few days before she passed away, I was fortunate enough to spend some time with her and she was sharing with me all the things she wanted to do when she was released from the hospital. Dinay never gave up. Her courage and strength was amazing. On January 21, 2009 Dinay left behind a beautiful little boy and a family who are still trying to get through each day.

I am also running in memory of Meghan Daly and Sarah Voss- Carter, both of them fought courageously to beat these cancers. Both were taken too soon.

I have committed to running this race and raising at least $1500 for research to find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and Myeloma - blood cancers that affect an estimated 895,000 people in the United States.

When I think about 13.1 miles, I can't help but to think about the tremendous physical challenge I will soon face, but it pales in comparison to the battle that Dinay, Meghan, Sarah and others who have fought. They are all the motivation I need to get through every one of those 13.1 miles and every day of training.

Will you join me? Will you help me make a difference? Will you consider making a donation to LLS of $25, $50, $100 or even $250? Whatever your ability to give, please know that I am so grateful for your donation and support. Please take a moment right now to send your donation along in the enclosed envelope I hope to reach my goal by April 15th!

If you'd like me to run in honor of, or in memory of, someone you love - please send me their name and they'll be added to my shirt for the race.

Thank you and let's hope they find a cure soon
Kathy (Kate) Smith

2 comments:

Lianna said...

I just wanted to say how moved I am by your sister and for the women she is running for!♥

Sharon said...

I just found your blog and have enjoyed reading about your sweet Nathan. It sounds like Nathan is doing great. My one year old, Brennan, also has Down syndrome.

This post really touched home with me as my brother-in-law had leukemia. He went through chemo, relapsed, had a bone marrow transplant and has now been cancer-free for 4 years. He and my sister now have two children and I think every day about how fortunate they are. That he was able to win this terrible fight against cancer and to have this beautiful family. What a gift. It is so admirable of your sister to be raising money for this cause.....hopefully bringing us one step closer to a cure!