WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!

Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Walking The Walk

This morning, I enjoyed a facial and reached a mommy milestone completely unrelated to my pours.

While sitting and waiting to be taken in for my facial - a young woman came out and asked my name. When I responded, she looked at a list of names and then crossed something out as she said "Oh, I am such a retard!" YIKES! The "R" word. What do I do? I immediately said to her: " I doubt that you're a "r." She responded by saying something about seeing two names but was wrong. Since when does being incorrect about something make a person call themselves a "r"?

Needless to say, I was irritated and then I found out she was giving me my facial! Oh crap - now, what do I do? As I was changing into my robe, all sorts of things were going through my mind. Should I simply leave? Run away ~ not on your life. I couldn't let it slide because I'd be irritated the entire time and if this was someone else, I'd say: man up and say something. So, I had too.

When I walked out of the restroom, I quietly said: "I want you to know that I was very offended by what you said. I have a son with Down syndrome and that just wasn't right." She said, "I knew the minute I said it, I shouldn't have and I'm sorry." That was the end of it. I enjoyed my facial immensely and she was at ease. She won't forget today and the world is a little bit better because of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is great that you stood up that day and said something... Alot of people dont know the meaning to that work.. they just use it like water i hear it everyday it seems and I to correct people or let them know that is offends me...