WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!

Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Dear Nathan

For the past 16 months, I’ve had such a great time being your mother! My favorite part of each day is seeing your little face when you first wake up – your squinty little eyes and sweet sleepy smile just warm my heart. I made up a little song that I sing to you in the morning – it goes like this:
Good morning to my angel
Good morning to my love
Good morning to my Nathan
My gift from God above

You seem to like it but I'm not sure if it's because it’s your song or just because you love music!
It doesn't much matter.

I’ve learned so much this past year about the importance of being a mother and the gift of family. When mommy grew up she didn’t have a mommy and never really thought she needed one. It wasn't until I became your mommy that I really got it. Children need their parents – both of them. I can’t imagine what your life would be like if either your dad or I weren’t around to care for you and I hope I never do. In the spirit of daily life and family I thought it would be a neat idea to give you a glimpse of your life at 16 months young.

We spend our mornings having breakfast (your favorite is toast and eggs but we tend to have oatmeal a lot because of the cholesterol), then you have therapy almost every day and then a nice long two hour nap. After nap time we have lunch (we do go out to lunch quite a bit together – your favorite place is the Cheesecake Factory. You also love mac & cheese and grilled cheese sandwiches). After lunch we have some fun! We do all sorts of activities from walking, going to the park, visiting family, shopping (mommy’s favorite), or simply playing fun games in your toy room. Our afternoons are all about you! Then, you sometimes go down for a late afternoon nap while mommy gets dinner ready. When daddy comes home we have some awesome family time together. You and mommy are super lucky to have daddy. Seeing the look on your face when he comes home is so sweet. In that moment, the meaning of life is so real and pure ~ we are blessed. After dinner, it’s all about you and daddy ~ a special time for both of you.


I am so proud of your strength and what you’ve accomplished this past year. You started taking steps at about 14 months and are really getting good at it!! You’re an inspiration to us all.

Another pretty significant realization for me this past year has been the diminished importance of Down syndrome in our lives. Yes, you have therapy eight times a week and we keep up with your routine doctor appointments but your diagnosis no longer consumes my thoughts nor am I fearful of your future. I’m exited and looking forward to each and every opportunity that life brings. I am also looking forward to that first brick wall that society sets in our path. I just read this great book and my favorite quote from it was that “brick walls are there to show us how badly we want something.” I look forward to those brick walls! Bring it on! I'm Mommy sledgehammer!

In therapy this week, you made me my first-ever Mother’s Day gift!!! It's a cup with wild flowers planted in it ~ you colored the paper wrapped around the cup and even picked out the pink lady bug for mommy! Way to go ~ I totally love it!! And, there is even a flower sprouting up! Thank you angel.

3 comments:

Conrad, Megan and Our Precious Keaton said...

Hello dear Kandi, wow what a beautiful and powerful post! I have tears in my eyes! Nathan is so blessed to have you as his mommy and you are so blessed to have him as your son! Your days are filled with absolute joy and fun and happiness and love! Nathan is doing so well and growing into such a beautiful and adorable little man! You know what Kandi, there's a reason I found your blog - i just love reading it and learning from it! To tell you the absolute truth when I log onto Nathan's blog or any of the other DS kids that I follow I dont see the DS at all, I see the most beautiful and kind and caring little people that God blessed you all with! Kandi and Nathan - you both are inspirations to me! God bless and Lots of Love, MEgan and Keaton

rickismom said...

Yes, as your child grows you see him much more for his individuality, and the DS becomes so much less of an issue. But personally, I am sick of those brick walls! (My Ricki is already 14)

Lianna said...

Beautiful post, Kandi. Happy Mother's Day!