WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!

Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Organic Highway

I'm beginning to embrace and purchase more organic foods for our family because I'm concerned about the hormones given to animals, the food consumption of the animals, their inhumane treatment, and the "genetically modified everything produce market." I really do make an effort to provide our family with healthy home cooked meals and in some ways I feel that the products I'm purchasing are unhealthy and doing "stealth" damage to our bodies.


I've been slowly converting ~ one item at a time. Each item I've added for a different reason but what I've come to discover is ~ a difference in taste not bad just different. We are so used to consuming these antibiotics and hormones we can't tell the difference. At first, I thought - we ate these products and we seemed to fare pretty well and then something began to happen around me ~ cancer in young people. I've seen and heard of way too many people having major life challenges and although it may not be directly related to all these food "additives" ~ it might be. Making small changes may make a big difference ~ it can't hurt. We're not switching everything but some things.

We added eggs about a month or so ago because of the inhumane treatment of chickens, what they're fed and what medications they could be injected with. I now buy free range organic eggs. Yesterday morning, I made the big switch ~ organic milk (pasteurized of course) for basically the same reason. I had the milk before I gave it to Nathan and it's pretty good. It's actually a little creamy ~ Nathan loves it and that makes me feel that he is getting the best I can offer him. I am also purchasing some organic veggies and will move into the fruits over the summer. There are certain veggies and fruits that experts contend should be eaten organic.


On another note, I brought Nathan to the doctor yesterday for an ear check. He's been playing with his ears for sometime and yesterday the left looked a little red. He has not had a fever or any other symptoms but I needed piece of mind. Well, after a few different tests ~ the doctor determined Nathan has fluid and put him on antibiotics for 10 days. She had to do a "puffer" test, which send air through the ear canal because she was unable to really tell by looking. It was a little red but he's teething so she was hesitant. The "puffer" determined definitively there was fluid. I guess it's best to trust your gut and be sure.

3 comments:

Bertha P said...

Nothing wrong with organic. But as far as eggs go, you may want to consider the safety aspect -- salmonella (a naturally occurring organic bacteria) is a real threat to a youg immune system. Safeway & Costco recently had a recall on organic eggs for salmonella.

There is a safe pasteurized egg on the market. They may be available where you live. They're from Davidson's -- no hormones, antibiotics, vegetarian fed hens, UEP certified farms (I checked), all natural water bath pasteurization process and they taste really good too.

Conrad, Megan and Our Precious Keaton said...

Hello Handsome Nathan, sorry to hear that you have fluid on the ear - we hope that the medicine takes it away quickly and that you continue to smile and light up the world! Keaton has also just had a week of antibiotics for an ear infection but he is much better!
Kandy - I have been doing the same thing - there is a farm about 45 min from where we live that delivers organic veggies and fruit to your doorstep - I have not ordered yet but am going to do so this week! We have a lot of organic products in our woolworths stores - so im also trying to do my best!
Have a wonderful week and big hugs to Nathan!
Please can you kindly send me your address - I would like to send something small for Nathan as my husband will be in Atlanta from the 15th April for a week to visit friends so he can send it from there!
God bless!
Megs and Keaton

ds.mama said...

Kandi, have you visited the Honest Weight Food Coop yet? Organic heaven. Don't wait to switch over with strawberries and peaches. They both carry heavy pesticides and have no real protective skin.