WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!

Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dr. Suess Decor (A Sneak Peak) Part I

When I knew I was pregnant with a baby boy I decided to not have a themed shower or bedroom for Nathan. I liked the classic looks and didn't want to put my decor in a "box." One day my Aunt asked, "if I was to do a theme, what would it be?" My answer: "Dr. Seuss" It's fun & different! The only problem was there wasn't anything Dr. Seuss but there is now! In February of this year, Pottery Barn Kids launched a children's line, which includes crib sheets and bedding but not much else. They have a few wall hangings and accessories but they're all way over priced (surprised?). So, I bought the sheets, a few pillows and then got really creative!!!!!

So many of my friends have paid a lot of money to have artists come into their home and paint murals on their children's walls and I just love them! I thought long and hard about how to do something just as cool with a very minimal budget. Before you go any further, I have to admit that I don't have a single artistic bone in my body! I'm creative and can improvise ~ that's my strength. I decided to give this painting thing a try! Wait til you see we were able to accomplish!!!

I'm revealing our paintings one at a time and a little at a time ~ this make take some time (I'm still painting)!! I'll reveal how we were able to do this when we're all finished showing you the fruits of our labor. This was a tremendous amount of work. Much more than I had ever anticipated.

I started out with the classic Cat & the Hat ~ I wanted to paint this picture. I found it on the Internet somewhere. Daddy drew it up on the wall and then I began to attempt the painting replication.

We're well on our way here. I took more pictures of the process for some paintings but not too many for most.

Here is the end result! Pretty good right? OH YEAH! Lots more to come!




This picture sits at the corner of Nathan's crib. It's actually pretty big and once you see what's next to it ~ you'll get the full scope of it's size. That's to come...

4 comments:

datri said...

Wow! Nice job! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Conrad, Megan and Our Precious Keaton said...

Kandi - how absolutely gorgeous!!!! I dont think a professional artist could of done it better at all and you know what the best part is - You did it with so much love!!! And it shows!!!!!!!
I love the Dr Suess theme - I dont think I have ever seen this theme in any shop in South Africa! Gives me ideas for Keatons next big boy room! I had a peter rabbit nursery for him! I loved Peter Rabbit and its so very hard to come by in South Africa and when you do, its sooooo expensive! Anyway I cant wait to see more of your art projects! God bless and hugs to Nathan! Megs and Keaton

Anonymous said...

Love it....can't wait to see it!
It's a very cute theme and will never get old!
you did awesome job!
Love Aunt Nikki

Anonymous said...

What a great job you did, it looks professional but best of all when Nathan is a little older he will know his Mommy did this just for him. How cool is that.

Lily's grandma