WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!

Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Sunday, August 2, 2009

What's Up Doc?


The Terry family celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Six Flags Great Escape & Splash Water Kingdom Park! We had a really great time and Nathan got to meet a few of mommy and daddy's favorite childhood characters. They have a Wiggles park, Looney Tunes Park and a fantastic kid friendly water park!!!
We had a few unique experiences ~ Nathan had to sit on the seat all by himself on any ride and we were able to secure a non-waiting fast pass for our family. The speed pass gives us and all those in our party access to all rides without any waiting and when there is an hour wait or longer for a ride that's a pretty awesome courtesy! Why? Because Nathan has Down syndrome.

I was fearful Nathan wasn't going to be able to sit on these rides because he's so used to being on our lap ~ this "park rule" brought us both outside our comfort zone. He wanted nothing to do with sitting alone until the ride started and then as you can see he was fine!!
Nathan seemed to have some anxiety in the pool area and we're not totally sure why. We think the water may have been too cold. It didn't appear that the crowd bothered him or the noise, which is typical of children with Down syndrome (so I hear). He was completely unhappy with the giant mushroom mommy took him under :-)!!

We're going to go back during the week when it's not as busy and try it again to be sure.

Just before we left ~ Daddy and Nathan went to jail for trespassing in the old west! It's the last time I'm bailing them out!!

We have decided that next year we're buying a season pass ~ Nathan is free up to 3 years old (I think). The park is only an hour from our house and there is so much to do there it's worth the very small investment and if we secure a seasonal campsite we'll be very close. For those of you who may live around here SEFCU sells discounted tickets to the park ~ the gate price is $36 or $37 per person and SEFCU's member rate is $24 p/p.

3 comments:

datri said...

Oh what fun! We'll have to try to make it up there next summer. Glad it didn't rain on the day you went!

Sometimes I feel weird using the disability passes. We had one at Disney and I hated all the people saying rude things about us being able to bring Kayla's stroller into the attractions or getting to go into the handicapped line.

When Kayla was four, I couldn't even try to get her in places for free (when admission was free for 3 and under), even though she can still pass as three.

We have a handicapped parking tag for Kayla (since she can walk, but can't walk for 200 yards without dropping) and I only use it if I can't bring the stroller with me.

I guess I still feel weird taking advantage of her disability. I understand that these are accommodations that she is entitled to have, but it still makes me uncomfortable.

Terry Family said...

If Kayla has the stamina to wait in line for an hour or even ten minutes than you're way ahead of the game. But, it seems if she can't walk 200 yards without falling waiting in those lines would be very difficult for her as well.

I would never characterize such a pass as "taking advantage of my child's disability." I have a son with a very real disability which includes low muscle tone and many other things that prevent him from doing the same things as other typical children. I could care less what other people think. They have no idea what our lives are like or what my son is or is not capable of.

On another note, my husband and I went to Disney and bought speed passes for every ride and people were upset then too! Who cares. Maybe they should come walk a mile in our shoes at the Buddy Walk.

Conrad, Megan and Our Precious Keaton said...

Hello my friend, wow it looks like you all had a great time! Man I wish they had some kind of Disney attraction here in South Africa but alas they dont! I remember Conrad took me to Disneyland Orlando on our first trip to the states - I felt like a little girl again! I just loved it! I remember thinking to myself - one day I will bring my kids here! Oh how I wish Keaton could see all the charactors - but one day im sure he will with Gods grace!
Nathan is getting cuter and cuter with each new picture you upload - he is just too cute for words!
I unfortunately dont have a webcam but I will ask Conrad how easy/difficult it is to get!
Hugs to Nathan! Megan and Keaton