Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Nathan's First Surgery..

As with all surgery, Nathan wasn't allowed to eat or have any liquids two hours before his surgery this morning. Of those fluids, he could only have clear liquids like water, apple juice or sprite. Notice that list didn't include orange juice. Well, Nathan was a very unhappy camper and although, in preparation for today, I made him some Italian soup and stopped at the store for ice cream ~ I forgot apple juice. Water first thing in the morning didn't go over well. So, I decided to add a teaspoon of orange juice to his water ~ what could it hurt? That didn't float with daddy and water wasn't cutting it for Nathan. So, he had soda for breakfast!

He became hungry and thirsty again before too long, but I couldn't give him a thing. He was a very unhappy little bee.

We left a little early for the hospital, to be sure we were on time. We arrived around 8:30am for his 9:30am procedure. Nathan passed the time playing with his alphabet keyboard. He loves the alphabet song and it was the prefect toy to get us through until surgery. After we registered, the nurse brought us into the pediatric recovery room. This is where Nathan got his new fancy dress and red socks! It's also where they gave him a combination of Tylenol and volume to calm him, which is odd because he wasn't anxious ~ we were! They should give parents one too!

This was our first surgery, and hopefully our last, but they allowed me to carry Nathan into the surgery room and to stay until they hooked him up and fell asleep. I was so excited!!! I sported my own new fancy clothes and hat and away we went!

When we entered the room, I immediately noticed how warm it was and then how many people were actually there. Nathan was really good when I laid him on the table and placed his head in this round rubber inner tube looking thing. When they were about to give him the gas, they warned me that he may get a little resistant and that was fine because he'd take a few deep breaths and go to sleep. This was the most difficult time for me. While Nathan was breathing in his gas, I was singing to him and holding his hand. First, I sang Old McDonald but then switched to his favorite song, the Itzy Bitzy Spider. Nathan didn't fall asleep that quickly and the nurse commented about how strong he was. OF COURSE HE IS! My little fighter! He did struggle a little but then eventually fell asleep. I had all I could do not to cry. It's not easy watching your child's eyes roll back into their head while they're squirming and then just go out. Once he was asleep, I gave him two kisses on the cheek and went back up to wait with Daddy.

The procedure was super fast. About 15 minutes later, the doctor came out and let us know that it was really good that we did the surgery. He said, Nathan's ears were full and that he removed three vials of mucus!! He also said, there was no scar tissue or permanent damage! YEAH He thinks that Nathan will really begin to communicate now that all the junk is out and the tubes are in. We're just happy he's going to be able to hear and not have infections ~ everything else is gravy!
After surgery, Nathan was groggy and having a little breathing issue. His chest was congested but he had that before coming in. They RN wasn't aware of that and was concerned it may have been from the anesthesia.
As soon as we arrived in the room, the nurse let me hold Nathan while he was coming around. After a bit, the nurse gave us some apple juice for Nathan and he wasn't interested but that Popsicle she gave him was a total hit! It was an orange Popsicle and when he finished it, he wanted another one but I was afraid he would get sick. He was so mad that I wouldn't give him more that he started yelling. No lie. He continued to yell all the way out of the hospital and continued when we finally got home! In some way, I wonder if the yelling was because he was hearing something he hadn't heard in a very long time ~ his own voice, loud and clear.
When we got home, Nathan was really off balance. He kept falling to the floor and into things. He was even walking in circles ~ poor little pumpkin! We had some lunch and mango sorbet and took a nice long nap. Both of us!
When he woke up a few hours later, his balance seemed a little better but he was still falling. Thankfully, the yelling had stopped but it was replaced with crying. I gave him some Tylenol but that didn't seem to work. His ears hurt and he needed some TLC and that's exactly what he got.
He's sleeping now and I pray he puts in a good night.
Thank you God for keeping Nathan safe and we pray for a speedy recovery. Amen.


datri said...

I'm glad it all went smoothly! Hope you see a HUGE improvement in communication!

Mairead Elizabeth Hickok said...

I am so glad that everything went well!!! Taking your little one in for surgery is SO hard-- when we took Mairead at 8 mos for her tongue, I felt the same way you did! But these kids of ours are so strong and resilient-- they are amazing!

Anonymous said...

YAY for Nathan. Glad to hear the surgery went well, he sure is a little trooper! Hope you have a speedy recovery 'Lil Man.
Love You,
Aunt nikki

John and Michelle said...

Reading this gets me all chocked up. It must have been so hard to hand him over for surgery, even though it was a good thing. I am glad that everything went well for you him. And no more ear infections!!! That is wonderful.

Conrad, Megan and Our Precious Keaton said...

Oh Nathan, what a super hero you are! Im so happy that the procedure went well and that you are well on your way to a full recovery! We are very proud of you and your mommy and daddy! Keep well my boy! God bless! Megan and Keaton