WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!

Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Friday, January 22, 2010

Toddler Boot Camp

Nathan's therapists and I have decided, he's in need of a toddler eating boot camp! Seriously.

Lately, Nathan's picky eating habits have been re-energized and to top it off he's refusing to feed himself. Not just refusing but he loads on the drama. It's hysterical but in reality it's not funny.

Nathan's two years old and he really needs to learn how to self-feed but when I tell him, "you do it" he cries something awful. Daddy got a chance to experience this lovely scene today and he was a bit surprised. He began cheering Nathan on and every time he took the spoon and fed himself we clapped and praised him like high school cheer leaders (mind you I'm still stabilizing everything so he's not totally doing it independently). I think we need a cheer squad for every meal!! Any takers?

I'm not sure how I'm going to figure this one out. Patience. Yep, lots of that and lots of cheering. Heaven help us! If I get this on video, you'll see what I mean.

Nathan is also becoming really picky with what he's eating. I've blogged about this before and nothing has changed. One day he likes eggs, the next he doesn't. One day, he'll eat chicken the next day he wants nothing to do with it. He's even refused to eat lasagna! One of his favorites. This is starting to wear on me. We don't live in a restaurant and as much as I love cooking, I don't want to be one of those parents that allows the child to dictate their menu. However, Nathan needs to eat. I'm really struggling with this one.

The other day, I made Nathan eggs for breakfast and he wanted nothing to do with them and I wanted nothing to do with playing chef again. So, I put the eggs in the frig and we went upstairs to take a shower. I figured we'd try again when we were finished. Well, that didn't work out well. He still wanted nothing to do with them. Then, I tried oatmeal (usually another favorite). He took one look at this bowl and turned his head!! STINKER.

Well, lucky for me Nathan's therapist was on her way in the door and she had just recently experienced Nathan's self-feeding drama. I explained what was happening and she dug her heels in ~ she offered to sit there for 45 minutes until he ate it ~ by himself! Oh, thank God.

Interestingly enough, it didn't take 45 minutes - it took about 10. Of course it did.

These are just the trials of parenting. As difficult and frustrating as they can be ~ I'll take them any day!

PS - He's also decided that brushing his teeth isn't much fun and he'd rather not do that either. UHG! :-)

3 comments:

Lianna said...

OK. Call me crazy, but I'm thinking that Nathan is teething. Honestly, Kandi, the little boy I look after is two years old and I am having the very same issues, with the exception that Ben WILL feed himself only.

I also think it is the visual thing you were talking about in a post entry.

It's hard work. With Gabe, it was different, we had to puree everything! And he still wants us to feed him -- which is a BIG issue!

Anyway, I wish I could offer any help, but I can't. Feeding issues have always been my downfall. I am terribly grateful that Gabriel will eat most of anything because I refuse to cook a few things to appease him. With Ben, I keep the menu simple -- to the foods I know he'll eat.

Loren Stow said...

Oh I know the feelings!!! Malakai will also love something and then have nothing of it - suddenly. In his case he actually starts eating, perhaps 5 bites, no problem and THEN refuses to continue...
It blows my mind (and my spirit) every time!
All I can say is good luck - I certainly don't have the answers, but I do understand the frustration...

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain Kandi...I will help cheer anytime...I'm actually getting pretty good at it myself lately with Lily. I usually let her play with an apple or the sticker off the apple to distract her...not sure if that is a very good method but it works for us!
Good luck
Love you Nathan
Aunt Nikki