WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!

Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Friday, April 29, 2011

Easter Eggstravaganza!

We had a wonderful and busy Easter this year. We kicked off the festivities with our annual Easter candy making session. The kids had all sorts of chocolate molds to paint and a variety of colored chocolates to choose from. Emily showed Nathan just how to paint those chocolate covered eggs.... ...and it didn't take him long to get the hang of it!What I loved most about this decorating session, was that I didn't have to worry about Nathan. It didn't matter if he put the paint brush in his mouth or painted his shirt and jeans instead. It was only chocolate and wouldn't hurt him and was washable! Plus, it tasted great too! You can only imagine once Nathan got a taste of it how challenging it was to keep the candy out of his mouth. More than once he tried to bite that big egg!

Both of the kids had a great time and their Easter candy wasn't only good, but beautiful! As they say, we eat with our eyes first.Peanut butter filled eggs...yum! A few of these eggs are also filled with jelly beans. We decided to go outside the box a little.Emily even helped with the packaging and ribbon! We hope you all enjoyed your made-with-love Easter candy! The next annual tradition was Aunt Sandy's Easter Egg hunt! The kids had such a great time collecting their Easter eggs, hanging with the Easter bunny, enjoying pizza, and spending time with family. Thanks Aunt Sandy, for the memories and all your hard work! And, thank you Mr. Easter Bunny, for always being such a great sport and taking the time to stop by and entertain us!
Aunt Sandy is a big kid too! We love that about her.Nathan and Uncle Casimiro. Great picture!
These are the cupcakes I made for Aunt Sandy's Easter egg hunt. I have to admit, I spent all day working on them! The cupcakes were vanilla and I added sprinkles to the batter and then filled them with a fresh strawberry mousse. The grass is actually buttercream frosting and the carrots and Easter eggs are made with modeling chocolate. It was the first time I had used modeling chocolates, so to say there's a learning curve would be an understatement and it's why they took all day. I now know how to make modeling chocolate, color it, and mold it. The rest is just practice. The baskets were also cut by hand. My sister thinks I have too much time on my hands! I disagree - I don't have enough time! I just seem to fill every available nanosecond with something to do and it's all worth it! :-)Although, daddy couldn't be with us at the Easter egg hunt, Nathan waited until he got home to open all his eggs.
Easter morning was all about coloring his eggs. As soon as I saw the dinosaur egg coloring kit, I knew I'd struck gold! Nathan loves dinosaurs and if you recall, he was one for Halloween this year. Our coloring session was not without incident. Nathan decided to grab and dump the red bowl of die. Yep, it made a mess and his shirt, that we love so much, is now in the trash. Aren't they adorable?

I'll end with this funny little story. On Easter morning, toward the end of mass, the priest finished praying and said, "amen." Just then, Nathan yelled out, "bye bye!" lol!! Not sure where that came from, but it was funny!

2 comments:

Conrad, Megan and Our Precious Keaton said...

Oh Kandi, how absolutely stunning all the decorations, events, easter eggs, the bunny,not to mention your absolutely beautiful cupcakes!!! I wish I had your talent! So happy to hear you all had a wonderful easter! God bless!

Mairead Elizabeth Hickok said...

Happy Easter! I am so impressed by the cupcakes and the chocolates- great job! I also love how you have created these traditions for Nathan and that you work so hard to fill his life with fun and family. It looks like he and Emily have such a great relationship. I just don't know how you find the time!!!