WELCOME TO NATHAN'S BLOG!

Nathan is Hebrew and means "gift from God" - we couldn't have been more blessed than to have been chosen as his parents!

Thank you for keeping up-to-date with Nathan. We hope you visit often and enjoy experiencing our son's journey as much as we do. Please feel free to leave comments.

We love hearing from everyone!!!!

Saturday, May 14, 2011

A Tough Lesson Learned

Our family has returned to our summer home and this year we secured some prime real estate, where Nathan can just be a kid and I don't have to worry about the road every second!! There's lots of room for him to play on our site and we can head over to the park anytime. I'm going to take some video of Nathan during our next visit; he's grown so much since the end of last season and has accomplished tasks he was unable to do just six months ago.

We spent four days up at the Lake this week getting ready for the new summer season, which includes Daddy building a new deck, cleaning up the site, and bringing up all of our supplies, golf cart, furniture, and toys.

On our final night this week, chaos and terror struck our family. Nathan and I were preparing dinner in the camper while daddy was out finishing up the deck. I needed to put the food on the grill, but didn't want to carry Nathan with me, so as soon as I stepped out of the camper I said to Danny, "watch him, he's right by the door." Danny walked over to the camper door about two seconds later, and discovered Nathan had LOCKED the door! With the keys inside!!! HOLY CRAP! Talk about panic-stricken parents. Not to mention, all the windows were closed and locked too.

Danny tried to get Nathan to turn the lock back without success. I'm running around the camper trying to figure out how to get in without much luck. Danny says, "come here and talk to him. Keep him by the door." In the meantime, Danny runs to the truck and grabs his drill and decides to try and drill through the lock of the bathroom door. Not sure if it would work, but decided to try. Once he began, he instantly knew it was a lost cause. As soon as he acknowledged this, I knew I had to try something. I began to pry open the window next to the front door with my hand. At this point Nathan was hanging out on the couch reading a book! He's having a grand ole time while we're freaking out!!! Once I got under that window and really pulled, it began to open! I yelled to Danny that it was working!! He immediately came over and took over. He busted that window right from the lock and its hinges! :-) As he's pulling it open, he says, "you'll never fit through that window." I said, "oh, yes I will! Watch me." Once he got it all the way open, he was actually able to stand on something and reach inside and unlock the door!!!


It was a tough lesson to learn and we've taken steps to make sure a similar incident doesn't happen again. We also have to buy a new lock for the back door and a new window, but in the grand scheme of things, who cares! It's a small price to pay.


Nathans hanging out enjoying some juice and cartoons. We're super excited to be back up at the Lake and look forward to a fun-filled summer.

2 comments:

Debi said...

Looks like a nice location! Wow how scary - I would have been freaking out too!

John and Michelle said...

That is the scariest thing ever. It actually happened to me in the fall with both boys locked in the car. I panicked. Eli was screaming and managed to pull the hat he was wearing over his eyes and nose. Talk about me totally losing it. Finally John was able to get the door open but I so wanted to smash the window. Scary. Glad Nathan was ok.

The pics on here are so cute. I love the one with his mouth open. And I will keep you posted about Myrtle!